It is is a popular Pakistani and Indian (specifically Awadhi) style of kebab, that is composed of small patty minced mutton or Beef, ground chickpeas and spices.
Shami kebabs are an extremely popular snack in Pakistan. They are often garnished with lemon juice and/or sliced raw onions, and are usually eaten with chutney made from mint or coriander. They are also served along with Sheer Khurma on Muslim Eid Days.
1meduim sized chopped Onion (Pyaj)
5 Green Chilly (Hari Mirch) chopped
100 gms Bengal Gram (Chana) soaked overnight
10 pods Garlic (Lasan / Lahsun)
1 tsp Cumin Seed (Jeera)
1 " long piece Cinnamon (Tuj/Dalchini)
1 " long piece Ginger (Adrak)
6 Pepper corns (Kalimirchi)
4 Red Chillies
Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- Boil minced meat in 3 cups of water and a teaspoonful of salt till water is absorbed and meat is tender.
- Grind meat into a fine paste.
- Take garlic, cumin seeds, cardamoms, cinnamon, ginger, peppercorns, red chillies and soaked gram dal and grind into a fine paste.
- Mix both the pastes well.
- Now mix well beaten eggs and prepare a uniform dough.
- Add finely chopped green chillies and onion to dough and mix well.
- Shape the dough into small round flattened balls or kababs.
- Heat ghee and deep fry kababs till golden brown and serve hot with sauce or chutney.